[mythtv-users] Current wisdom on PVR-150/250/350/500

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 17 04:17:16 UTC 2006

On 04/16/2006 11:59 PM, Joe Votour wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you.  The
> PVR-350, (granted, in my opinion) has the best
> TV-output that I've seen on a PC-based component.  It
> has the huge advantage of being able to automatically
> de-interlace when playing back interlaced content with
> an algorithm that is apparently much better than
> MythTV's BOB

Actually, I think it just outputs the interlaced recording without
change (because NTSC and PAL are interlaced).  The video card can't
generally do this because of a plethora of scaling/refresh/mode issues.

(That being said, when properly configured, NVIDIA TV out on a good
NVIDIA-based card can look really good and doesn't have to be
expensive.  I paid less than $40 for my Chaintech GF4MX440 and it has
very good TV out.)

See also http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/197854#197854 .

Mike