[mythtv-users] Deleting a recording deletes the wrong one!

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sun Apr 16 04:24:59 UTC 2006

I was just deleting a few recordings several pages into the Watch
Recordings listing, under 0.18.1 and using mythfrontend to do the
deletions.  When I finished, I realized that one of the two shows
currently recording had been DELETED WHILE RECORDING and was gone!
(MythWeb also says, "This showing was recorded but was deleted before
recording was completed" if I hover over its listing in the program
grid.)

I know for an absolute fact that I was NOWHERE near the very top of
the list in mythfrontend's Watch Recordings screen while I was doing
the deletions, yet that's where an in-progress recording would have
sorted to, so I couldn't have nailed it by accident and failed to
notice.  WTF???

My backend is logging verbosely, but doesn't have any information I
can see that can help figure this out.  It -does- have a few lines
of the form "Local file path:" with the pathname of the relevant
recording (across maybe half an hour), but doesn't tell me why it's
printing that.  (My frontend isn't logging because playing video
splits out impossibly huge numbers of bogus logging lines and I
never got around to having it log through a filter; I suppose I
should probably do that, but I don't even know if there's be any
information there that could have told me what happened.)

While attempting to figure out what happened, I looked in the
oldrecorded table and was startled to discover that the last four
episodes of the relevant program ALL had the same recordid field.
Isn't this field supposed to be unique and increment for each
recording, or am I confused?  (I hadn't deleted -any- of those
episodes---I was deleting stuff on entirely different channels
unrelated to the one being recorded---so I doubt that even if
these are supposed to be unique, that this is the whole story.)
That recordid (694) doesn't appear on anything but those four
recordings (which span from 3/4 to tonight).

[Actually, having now looked at something else, I'm beginning
to believe that recordid isn't unique after all---for example,
oldrecorded's recordid for the last several Novas have values
of 274 479 524 524 524 524 524 524 524.]