[mythtv-users] Partly OT: Output analog recordings to SPDIF

N Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Sun Apr 16 04:22:26 UTC 2006

I've been playing around with SPDIF and have been able to output HD
sound to SPDIF.  When playing back analog video, the sound stutters and
sounds like chipmunks.  Googling has not yielded a working solution.

My .asoundrc looks like this:

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm dmix-nforce
}

#my spdif is device 2
pcm.nforce-hw {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 2
}

pcm.dmix-nforce {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1234
    ipc_perm 0666
    slave {
       #point the pcm to spdif
       pcm "nforce-hw"
       channels 2
       period_time 0
       buffer_time 0
       period_size 2048
       buffer_size 32768
    }
}

When I select ALSA:dmix-nforce as the device, mythfrontend complains
that it cannot open the device.  For now, I have to chose either
ALSA:plug:spdif or /dev/dsp.  I'd like to be able to keep it on one
setting.  Any ideas?