[mythtv-users] Current wisdom on PVR-150/250/350/500

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 22:48:12 UTC 2006

--- "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 04/15/2006 06:25 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > The mpeg decoder is just one half of the story.
> The other half is the
> > TV-Out.  That alone saves you the trouble of
> getting a
> > VGA-to-composite converter.
>
> And so does buying a good NVIDIA card with TV out...
>  :)
>
> Mike

Here's my thoughts on the matter:
The TV-Out port on both of the nVidia-based cards that
I have (a GeForce 440MX and a GeForce 5200FX) under
Linux absolutely blows chunks, quality wise.  Now,
perhaps I just got brands of cards with poor TV
encoder chips (oh, how I wish somebody made a card
with the same TV-out chip in my Rev 1.1 XBox - it
looks very good), so I will concede that.

For a PC that was only going to be used for watching
MythTV recordings and DVDs, I would recommend the
PVR-350, if you needed the encoder card anyway.  But,
for anything else, I'd definitely suggest to get an
nVidia card (like MAME, or MythMusic, if you like
Goom).

Of course, with the new OpenGL UI being worked on in
SVN, it may render using a PVR-350 for TV-out as
obsolete, barring a really fast CPU for Mesa software
GLX...

-- Joe