[mythtv-users] Current wisdom on PVR-150/250/350/500

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 22:36:23 UTC 2006

--- Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:

> Michael T. Dean writes:
>
> > Mike (who uses his PVR-350 as a PVR-250--without
> the TV out and hardware
> > decoder)
>
> How come?  It's real easy to get X up and running on
> the PVR-350's frame
> buffer, and see exactly what you're seeing now,
> except on a big screen TV,
> instead of a VGA monitor.  All you need is to
> install the ivtv-xdriver
> package, twiddle a few things in xorg.conf, and away
> you go.
>
> You should get the whole deal, Myth menus, and the
> on-screen-display, going
> through TV-Out.

I believe that Michael, like myself who used to use
the PVR-350 TV out, has an HDTV now, which the PVR-350
cannot drive (at least not in anything above SD).

For me, just before I got the HDTV, I stopped using
the PVR-350.  My main reason for using it was to get
rid of the annoying flicker in the OSD when using Bob
deinterlacing.  After I enabled the Chromakey OSD (I
have a 5200FX), I never went back to the PVR-350
because of the many advantages of it (the 5200FX).

-- Joe