[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: 2.6-16 kernel/ivtv .6

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Apr 15 21:25:48 UTC 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 3:14 PM, Jonathan Smith wrote:

> So I upgraded my kernel to 2.6-16/ivtv to .6/mythtv to .19-126 via yum
> and ran into some problems.  Initially I didnt have any sound and
> could not record or view live tv.  I easily found the problem with
> recording/viewing livetv, I just had to go reconfigure the input
> options in mythtvsetup.  Sound turned out to be a real problem.  I
> have 2 sound cards on my system an Audigy SB and the on board Nvidia
> card.  Sound worked fine on the Nvidia card with the new kernel, but
> my on board card does not have a line-in to loop sound back into the
> Hauppauge 350 card and the quality of the Nvidia card is not that
> great.  I was able to get my Audigy card working after running
> alsaconf, but then livetv got real unstable, video was freezing up.
> Not sure why that would happen.  When I rebooted, I lost sound again.
> Anyway I ended up reverting back to ivtv .4 and using my 2.6-15
> kernel.  Has anyone had any success with upgrading to the new kernel
> with an Audigy SB card?
>
> Specs:
> Initially used Jarod Wilsons guide
> FC4
> 1 Hauppauge 350 (using TV out as well)
> 1 Hauppauge 500 MCE
> 1 Audigy SB sound card

Can't help you with the Audigy, but as for your lack of a "line-in"
for your integrated sound.

Most motherboards have a header on them for an analog CD audio input.
You could make up an adapter and use that input for what you need.

This is a better solution (IMHO) than using the Mic. in, which a lot
of people do. If youdo this oyu really should make up an attenuator
to drop the level down to mic level, but this makes you more prone to
noise and other problems.