[mythtv-users] Fwd: Guidance to get Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 350 to work on PAL-N

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Sat Apr 15 00:11:12 UTC 2006

On 4/14/06, Julian Cerruti <jcerruti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Still lost ....
>
> Spent another long night with this mythTV install with not much
> progress. This is the new info on this topic:
> - After importing
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hauppauge\hcwPNP\Override]
> "VideoFormat"=dword:0000003f on the registry and setting the program
> WinTV2000 to use "PAL-N" as a format, video is displayed in colors,
> perfect under Windows
> - Trying to reproduce the same under Linux gives no good result. Using
> mythtv-setup to set "TV-FORMAT" to PAL-N didn't help. Also using the
> channel editor to set the format of specific channels to PAL-N doesn't
> seem to do anything useful.
>
> Finally, trying to tune and watch directly from the card using mplayer
> /dev/video0 was not very fruitful:
>
> 0) ivtvctl -p 4 (set input to 4 = Tuner 0)
> 1) ivtvctl -u 0 (set standard = NTSC)
> 2) ptune.pl -c 2 (tune channel 2)
> 3) mplayer /dev/video0   --> Displays the channel in B&W (aka NTSC)
>
> 0) ivtvctl -p 4 (set input to 4 = Tuner 0)
> 1) ivtvctl -u 1 (set standard = PAL)
> 2) ptune.pl -c 2 (tune channel 2)
> 3) mplayer /dev/video0   --> Displays only garbage
>
> At this point, I don't know what else can be done under Linux to get
> PAL-N out of the WinTV PVR-350. Does anybody have any advice?

I found some more useful information:

http://perso.netplus.ch/FCorthay/InstallGentoo/install_Hauppauge.html

# ivtvctl -d $VIDEO_OUT -c framerate=1            > /dev/null
      # PAL
# ivtvctl -d $VIDEO_OUT --set-standard=0x0000ff   > /dev/null
      # PAL
# ivtvctl -d $VIDEO_OUT --set-format=width=720,height=576 > /dev/null
      # PAL

Looks like there are a few other things you can set with ivtvctl. Look
through that page and see if it helps you any

  -Jeff