[mythtv-users] custom record clauses

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Apr 14 22:10:02 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> Is there a compiled list of the custom record rules/clauses?

There are different ways to read this. On the surface, the answer
is 'no'. There is no limit to the possibilities. That's the point.
Anything you can dream up to distinguish a set of showings is
possible so it's an open ended, unlimited set.

'Yes', there is an evolving set of specific example clauses included
on the Custom Record page. Highlight "Match an exact title" then
press -> until you reach this same item to see all the examples or
look in the file programs/mythfrontend/customrecord.cpp . This is
the file to patch if anyone would like to add new examples or
correct/clarify existing examples. Some of these are clearly
Lego blocks to build your rule, some can be used as is, some are
to show off the possibilities and to get people thinking about
the kinds of things that could be done.

One thing I've thought about is adding a 'customexamples' table or
something and adding a "Store" button. If you like to use a certain
trick or type of rule, you could create a template by clicking "Store"
and have that included along with the examples from the source code.
Next time you wanted to create a similar rule, select your example
from the list, click "Add..", modify then click "Record". This would
also be useful for creating a complex search that you don't want to
save as a rule. If it's stored as an example, you could select the
example again weeks later then press "Test" to see the current result.
Also, a problematic work in progress could be stored while you go
off to think about it or ask questions.

'Kinda'. There is a finite set of rules that people have posted to
the mailing lists. I've posted several times on "First Episodes" and
"Breaking News" (everything on CNN up to a cutoff time). Also, Tour
de France, following multiple baseball teams (and recoding baseball
in general), PGA Golf and playoff holes on Sunday, new vs reruns of
The Simpsons, and probably a few others ...oh, "Battlestar Galactica".
Others have posted rules too. Search for "Custom Record", This link:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.5 and maybe even
"AND program." but this would match a lot of unrelated stuff.

I've had as many as 46 kPowerSearch rules but currently 38. Here are
some I don't think I've posted before:

Rule Name: Contestants

program.previouslyshown = 0 AND program.description REGEXP
'(American Idol|The Apprentice|Survivor: Panama)'

This will catch interviews with voted off contestants on talk shows
as well as hosts, judges, and entertainment show features, etc. I
used to use a keyword search for each but now I can go to Custom
Record to "Edit Rule" and update the list periodically.

Rule Name: Talk Show Guests

program.previouslyshown = 0 AND program.description REGEXP
'(Lance Armstrong|Mariah Carey|Adam Morrison|Michelle Wie|Danica Patrick)'

Same thing for people in the spotlight that may be making the
rounds on talk shows.

Rule Name: Short Films

program.showtype = 'Short Film'
AND HOUR(program.starttime) >= 5
AND HOUR(program.starttime) < 7

Grab random short subjects in the early morning. Premium channels
often use these as filler to resync their schedule for the day.

Rule Name: Late Show

program.title = 'Late Show With David Letterman'
AND program.previouslyshown = 0
OR program.title = 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'

I set this to FindDaily so it will record the first non-conflicting
showing each day. The priority is high enough that Letterman won't
lose. To match, Letterman has to be a new episode but any Kimmel
will match. Therefore, this records every new Letterman but if Dave
is a rerun, Jimmy Kimmel will be recorded instead. This will work
as is in Central Time but Kimmel starts after midnight for Eastern
or Pacific.

mysql> update record set findtime='23:00:00' where title like 'Late Show%';

so that it will record one per day starting after 11PM.

> I searched the Wiki and could not find anything(maybe I searched for
> the wrong words?). If I knew where to look I could put together a wiki
> page on it as well.

The HOWTO had a tutorial with examples of common useful tricks and
explanations of database fields that are likely to be useful. If
this is lacking, please send diffs. However, if you are looking to
put something fluffier in a wiki, make sure to link to the HOWTO
section for the real deal info.

--  bjm