[mythtv-users] Battlestar Galactica 1978 on SciFi

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Apr 14 21:51:52 UTC 2006

    Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:04:25 -0600
    From: "John P Poet" <jppoet at gmail.com>

    On 4/14/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
    > Zap2It doesn't list this show as a seperate entity from the new
    > version. Which makes it an interesting case for the scheduler.
    > Obviously a custom record would catch this, but I thought it was
    > interesting.
    >
    > Oh, and they're showing the series (all 1 seasons!) from the beginning
    > starting tonight, so for those like me that were born after the show
    > originaly aired...

    Here is where Bruce described how to only record the new ones.  You
    could just invert the logic:

    http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/125064#125064

I just tried this as an experiment, and it doesn't work, at least in 18.

Specifically, I created an ordinary rule (built via MythWeb) that
recorded only new BatGal episodes (and hence claims nothing to do,
since the series is currently in repeats).

I -then- used Custom Record in mythfrontend to create this rule:

program.title = "Battlestar Galactica" AND
program.originalairdate < 20050101

The "Test" button correctly shows that the 6 old episodes airing
tonight will match, but they don't show up in the schedule recordings
list, nor are they highlighted as recording in Mythweb's Search page
(which claims, for any of the ones I click on, that it's a repeat and
will not be recorded).  And yes, I -did- finish the procedure by
hitting Record and setting "Record at any time on any channel"
and then saving the settings.  (And also setting a pre- and post-pad
of one minute, though I doubt that matters here.)

I suspect that having the two rules (New Episodes Only, -and- the
Custom Record rule) are not being OR'ed together as I'd expect.
Presumably the way to fix this is to write a single rule that says

(program.title = "Battlestar Galactica") AND
((program.originalairdate < 20050101) OR
 (program.previouslyshown = 0))

...and then to delete all other rules mentioning Battlestar Galactica.
(I haven't tried this yet.)  I'm surprised that the two rules I created
aren't OR'ed together, though...

P.S.  It's really, really irritating that I'm typing on a keyboard yet
mythfrontend uses cellular-keypad-speak when I type digits, e.g., I
have to hit each digit four times (and 0 still didn't work!  I had
to resort to cut & paste).  It'd be really nice if it knew somehow
that I was talking to it via an X connection over ssh and had a
keyboard in front of me, rather than via LIRC and a remote control.