[mythtv-users] Thoughts on a Direct DVD Burning Feature

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 19:03:29 UTC 2006

On 4/14/06, Niels Dybdahl <Niels at dybdahl.dk> wrote:

> BTW last time I recorded a 90 minutes show on a DVD, MythBurn used
> around 30 minutes (1.8 GHz CPU), the burning was done at 4x speed
> (around 4 GB at around 5 MB/s which is around 13 minutes). So MythBurn
> can do it faster than "real time".
> If you need to recompress the recording to a smaller size, then you
> have to add around 30 minutes. Still faster than "real time".

Except here's the problem with that:  the data can be burned in 13 minutes,
but if you're going to burn at >1x you need to have all (or at least most)
of the data before you start or else you risk burning faster than the
broadcast is coming in.  I could be wrong on this, but I believe that, like
CD's, DVD's must be burned in a single session.  So if you run out of
broadcast data to burn what happens while you wait for more data?

And if you just burn at 1x and start burning when the show starts how will
you know if you need to recompress the recording?  You won't until after
you've reached the limit.  I suppose you could use your recording bitrate
information along with the recording length to calculate the final size of
the recording.  If it's larger than a disc then recompress it.  But that has
another problem.  If you're going to recompress the recording you definitely
need to have the whole thing first.  Which means you can't start your 30
minute recompress process until after the 90 minute show ends.  At which
point you might as well just use MythBurn.

Right?