[mythtv-users] Thoughts on a Direct DVD Burning Feature

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 14 16:02:42 UTC 2006

On Apr 14, 2006, at 9:40 AM, Brad Benson wrote:

> On 4/13/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> What about a "Burn to DVD in real-time" feature? Pressing a button
> would cause what was being viewed on-screen to be burned to a disk,
> in more or less real time. Perhaps this could work with LiveTV and/or
> viewing a recording.
>
> Well, considering that MythBurn is arguably  the best option
> currently available for burning DVD's directly from Myth and it can
> be difficult to get setup and configured correctly, I'd imagine
> there would be quite a lot of work required to make this possible.
> Since very few people seem to be willing to put the effort into
> MythBurn who is going to develop this feature?
>
> Aside from that, I really don't see any benefit to burning what is
> currently being viewed directly to DVD.  Remember we're talking
> about a DVR here.  Anything you're watching in Myth can be recorded
> and saved for later watching/processing.  Since you've already got
> that feature, why bother with trying to write a disc in realtime?
> Doesn't make any sense.
>
> Even if the video were just burned to a disk in "raw data" form,
> without attempting to be readable by consumer DVD players, I can see
> it as a useful feature.
>
> What makes this useful?  How is this different from just writing
> the video to the hard disk other than the fact that the data is no
> longer available to Myth once you remove the DVD?

The disk burn would be in addition to the hard disk recording, not in
place of it. You could even add a feature to print a DVD label with
the data from the database.

Come to think of it that's not a bad idea for an addition to MythBurn
itself.

> I guess it just bothers me that some consumer devices can do
> something that my Myth system can't.
>
> While YOUR Myth system may not be able to burn DVD's some Myth
> systems can.  You just have to take the time to install and
> configure MythBurn.  That said, I'm currently struggling with
> trying to get MythBurn installed and working on my system.  No,
> it's not trivial.  But if you want it to "just work" then you
> should go out and buy a DVR.  That's what you pay for.

Actually MythBurn is working quite well on my system. It's just that
if there is a program on that I want to watch, and I *know* that I
will want a DVD of it for some reason, I could save the time required
to run MythBurn on it.

Say, for example, someone comes over to watch a show featuring their
child on local origination, and wants to take a DVD of it with them
when they leave, a perfect solution.

Since the datastream already exists, if the system is fast enough I
wouldn't think it would be too difficult to implement. Even my pre-
historic coding skills can probably hack up some way of doing this.
Just thought it might be something quick and easy that some folks
might like.

I just wondered if there was any interest in the feature out there,
I'll put you down as a "no".