[mythtv-users] PVR-350, no vid out, and no modprobe results

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Fri Apr 14 01:16:04 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Aurangzeb M. Agha <ama-list at mltp.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jeff -- Do I need to do this to just get video out on my 350?  As
> mentioned, I saw quite a few folks post about getting X working on their
> 350--I thought that having normal vid-out working was a requirement.  Are
> you saying its the other way around?  I need X working (and/or installed)
> to get vid-out working?

"video out" is sort of a vague term is all. You can play the MPEG
files through the hardware mpeg decoder with just the normal ivtv
driver. To get anything that isn't an mpeg to display you need the X
driver. Make sense?

If you load mythtv up in your normal X session on a monitor and use
it, it will display the videos to the TV when they play if you have
"use PVR-350 MPEG decoder" selected.

A good first step is to pipe a test mpg to the decoder to see if it
shows up on the TV, since all that requires is a working ivtv driver.
Similarly, you can pipe from video0 to record (and test that recording
works)

Once that is working, you set X up, because you already know the
wiring works, the card works, and ivtv works, so all that is left is
the driver and the xorg.conf

 - Jeff