[mythtv-users] Inexpensive Front-end

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 02:34:36 UTC 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 15.33, Mark Jones wrote:

> On Monday 10 April 2006 21:20, Robert Johnston wrote:
>> On 4/10/06, Jordack <jordack at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Inexpensive Front-end
>>>
>>> So im looking for an inexpensive front-end.  So far
>>> the best i can come up with is to purchase a Xbox  is
>>> this still the best option? or anyone got another?
>>>
>>> I was wondering if it be possible to run Linux on a
>>> newer slim PS2 since those are cheaper then the xbox.
>>> but can't find a good write up on getting it to work.

Nope, you're not going to get Linux on the slim PSTwo. The reasons as
to why on the Slimline, are below. As far as getting Linux on your
PS2, that's a whole other deal, even if you have the "fat" PS2. Sony
no longer sells the Linux kit for the PS2, so you'll have to have
track it down elsewhere. Or is there some other method of installing
Linux that I'm not aware of?

>> The slim PS2's can't run Linux (No hard-drive).
>>
>> And try looking on ebay, or your local pawn shop, for an XBox. Now
>> that the 360's out, they are going very cheaply if you know where to
>> look.
>>
>>> Anyone have any other ideas?  I'm looking for
>>> something inexpensive and not to bulky
>>
>> I'm using an XBox frontend here, and it works just dandy.

Me too. But, just a warning: If you go with a pre-fab'd Xebian disk
image, you might need a cross-over cable to fix the IP address on the
included system. Mine came with a goofy subnet set on it. But after
that, the thing ran (and is still running) like a charm.

>> --
>> Robert "Anaerin" Johnston
> I too use a couple of xbox frontends I have upgraded both to 128
> ram, 2 back
> USB ports for IR blasters, and 5.1 sound cables)
>
> However I thought that Sony released a linux kit for the PS2, or is
> this
> slimline one different and I am just showing my ignorance.

Sony released a Linux kit for the PS2. Not for the PSTwo (Slimline
PS2). The Slimline PS2 is basically the PS2, with the expansion bay
removed, the network adapter built in, a built in IR receiver, and
the spacing between the memory card and controller ports modified
just enough that you need to buy a whole new Multi-Tap if you want
four player capabilities (or you could just buy a $5 Mad Catz adapter
to make your current multi-tap work). This really kinda sucks since I

A.) Would love to try Linux PS2 some time
B.) I run FFXI on the PS2, which requires a hard drive. If this PS2
dies, then I'm going to have a dandy time finding another one that
works with the hard drive kit ($99 for that kit! Figures no other
thing in the house is capable of running the game! ;)