[mythtv-users] What should I look for in a soundcard?

cromworshipper-mythtvlist at yahoo.com cromworshipper-mythtvlist at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 11 02:21:21 UTC 2006

Thanks for the insight, Brad.  The reviewers on newegg.com like the M-Audio
cards too.

Hopefully I'm not too far off-topic by bringing up loudspeakers.  But what
connector standards should I be looking for to connect one of these M-Audio
cards to speakers?  Do the standard gamer/computer speakers have the right
connectors (optical? spdif?) for an enthusiast's sound card such as this?
Does it make sense to connect standard speakers that are advertised for
gamers to one of these cards?

Do you have any thoughts on whether a PCI card or a USB audio device will
result in a better (or at least cleaner) sound?  From what I hear
anecdotally, moving the sound hardware outside of the computer case makes for
much better audio quality.

Based on the ALSA docs, I'm not quite sure if this device:
http://www.krunker.com/2006/02/02/turtle-beach-audio-advantage-roadie/#more-2798
is supported by ALSA:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Turtle_Beach#matrix

John