[mythtv-users] MythTv component out HOWTO

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Tue Apr 11 02:08:45 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> Overscan is purely a TV issue. Each TV will have a different level of
> overscan, 5% per side is about the average. This means that the
> picture your tv gets from your video card will be cropped the same
> amount as what it gets from a DVD player or cable box, etc.

I don't think in this case it is purely the TV.  I can hook my DCT-6200
cable box to the TV, and via the service menu in the TV move the image
right and left and see that my overscan there is roughly 2" (on a 54"
widescreen) on each side, and about 1" up and down.  With the GeForce
6200 (annoying coincidence in model numbering) it is more like 5" on
each side and 3" up and down.  Nothing is changed on the TV, and even
the same cables are used.  That tells me that what the video card is
putting out isn't the same as what is coming out of the cable box.  And
of course, as mentioned, you can't change what is coming out via any
known modeline or X setting.

Jeff.