[mythtv-users] scheduling not using all three tuners?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 10 17:30:42 UTC 2006

On 04/10/2006 12:02 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> I need to see where that per-show hard pre-roll is,

It's the start-early and end-late settings on the recording rule.

>  though I'd much
> rather have that as an option by default for any recording on any of
> my HD tuners, as they take about 10seconds to tune, lock and begin
> sending data, and many shows start right at the hour/half change or
> sometimes even before.

So, would you give up a high-def recording (and record on your NTSC
cards) just so you could get the 10-sec pre-roll on your HDTV card?  How
should Myth determine which show should be bumped to an NTSC card or
when not to bump shows?

IMHO, the user should tell Myth...  If you look at your schedule and see
that you have back-to-back recordings on an HDTV card, one of "That
Movie I Remember Watching as a Kid That Wasn't Too Bad" and one of "My
Favorite Show, Ever!", you would know that "My Favorite..." often starts
exactly on time and that "That Movie..." will have several minutes of
credits at the end.  Therefore, you could create an override for each
schedule with a negative one minute "end late" for the movie and a
positive one minute "start early" for the good show, thereby (and I know
this is a hard concept to grasp) telling Myth what /you want/.  ;)

Once you've had a schedule in place for a while, you may determine that
the show often requires an offset (or, if it really is your favorite
show ever, you may want to record a bit more just in case).  If so, you
can modify the recording rule to always start one-minute early and/or
end one minute late.  Doing so _will_ bump other recordings (to other
cards, if you have enough; or off the schedule, if you don't).  You
could then adjust the schedule /the way you want/ with overrides to
resolve the conflicts (which is still your responsibility, not Myth's).

As I'm sure you'll agree, trying to program the kind of logic described
above (whether the start or end of a show is important--and, more
importantly, what you want) into Myth is not worthwhile.  On the other
hand, it takes little effort on your part to do overrides when your
schedule isn't perfect (or to fix your schedule once you've identified a
discrepancy--such as a show that always needs a start-early).

Mike