[mythtv-users] OT: Is playing DVD's on Linux legal in the US yet?

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Mon Apr 10 15:35:54 UTC 2006

Chad wrote:
>> I always look at it this way... Every computer or dvd drive I have
>> ever bought comes with some sort of oem windows dvd player software.
>> I've paid for the drive, I own a ligit version of a dvd playback
>> software (the licence fee is paid), I believe its within my rights to
>> play the dvd back in linux using decss if need be.
>>

> This was my other question:
> If I buy a copy of Cyberlink PowerDVD for windows, am I then licensed
> for a single player to play DVD's on my computer; so if it were to
> ever come up, I can say 'I've got a legit license to play DVD's on my
> computer"?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> And I tend to agree on the point that it probably won't get litigated
> again (DeCSS in it's current form, but possibly whatever Linux comes
> up with for HD-DVD/Blue-Ray might) but am curious and trying to overly
> cautious for people I'm planning on building computers for (I don't
> want to get sued, and even more importantly, I don't want them to get
> sued).
>
> Chad

Technically, from a legal perspective, the only way that owning cyberdvd
or windvd allows you to play a dvd in linux would be if you could make
it work under Wine or if you run it in something like VMWare.  Owning a
license for those does not entitle you to use libdvdcss legally.  The
makers of WinDVD have a product called LinDVD.  IAFAIK it is this
product that Linspire licenses.  It has gone through the testing and met
with the approval of the DVD and MPEG2 licensing groups (which are not
the MPAA) and is a totally legal way to play DVDs under Linux.