[mythtv-users] New to HD, which nvidia card

Brad brad at bradandkim.net
Sun Apr 9 16:25:59 UTC 2006

I have a mythtv box running with SDTV and I like it a lot.  I want to
upgrade my GeForce 4 MX 4000 and am looking to the near future when I
get an HDTV.  After lots of research on the different nvidia cards out
there I am more lost than ever.  I have been thinking about an FX 5200
but am concerned I won't be able to run newer games very well.  I also
want to make sure that whatever HDTV I get I can have the best display.
Should I step up to a 5500 or 5700 or even into the 6xxx series?

I have a GA-K8U-939 board so no PCIe.  What would be a good AGP nvidia
card to get assuming I am getting an HDTV in the next 6 months?  I do a
little bit of gaming, but right now it is mostly Q3A.  I would like to
stay under $140 US.  It's a pretty noisy box right now, so I am not sure
that fanless is a big deal, though I would like to start working on
getting it quieter.

I know this is a common question, and yes I have searched the archives
but still have no clear idea which way to go.

TIA,

--
Brad Crotchett, RHCE
brad at bradandkim.net