[mythtv-users] TapeWorm - a Mea Culpa.

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 08:52:48 UTC 2006

> > Would you be apposed to creating a "third party utils/plugins" type
> > list to talk about "unofficial" myth related software? I know multiple
> Define unofficial?  Far as I'm aware, most of the unofficial plugins are
> already discussed fairly extensively here, with a very few, very specific

By unofficial, I mean the same thing the wiki seems to define as unofficial:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Unofficial_Plugins

> If there was enough support for another mailing list, sure, I could do that.
> I'd be hesitant to add another list, but if enough people want one that's

How about a read only announce list that can be used for new release
announces, and only an approved list of posters (ie. you and approved
3rd party developers who ask for permission to post). Maybe that
eliminates that confusion of average users being told to post to
another list too, since all user support would remain in -users.. I
dunno, kinda one of the downside to email lists is you have to be
subscribed to each one individually. Then again, forums sites have all
their own flaws and problems too. One small advantage is moving posts
in a forum... but I can only imagine 100+ threads a day on a forum and
how horrible that would be. Uhhg. I can't say I know the right
solution, maybe it's worth some collaborative community brainstorming.

I have a hard time believing I'm the only one that wants to know about
any and all new plugins or feature sets I can enhance my already
kickass mythbox with. Sure, some of them stink or don't apply to me,
but on occasion, I've picked up some cool utils and stuff on the list.
The Vonage caller id script (first announced on -users) is a perfect
example. Although used by a fraction of myth users, I for one am very
glad it was announced and shared on the list.

> I've also thought about providing hosting space/svn/trac/lists/etc for
> non-official myth-related stuff (that meets certain guidelines - opensource,
> won't tend to get me into trouble, not a complete distro for bandwidth
> reasons, etc) as well, but I'm not sure how useful that'd be to anybody,
> since sourceforge/etc generally work for all that stuff.

I think one of my favorite features of SF is actually the file/release
monitor stuff. Getting an email when a new version of something I use
is released is sweet. As far as actually hosting the stuff, rather
than do that, I'd like to see more of those unofficial plugins become
integrated and turn into official stuff. I guess most of them stay
unofficial because the devs of them disappear after initially creating
them, I don't know.

> What's Windows have to do with any of this?  Windows support is pretty much
> the #1 request I get from people.  Well, that or messages saying 'Winzip
> won't open up this weird "tar.bz2" file', which I count as a request for
> Windows support. =)  Having the full frontend run on windows would be
> excellent.

Your post seemed to have a negative tone towards it because it was
Windows based. I guess I misunderstood that part.

I'm glad to hear you're supportive of Windows possibles, the myth on
cygwin caught my eyes this past couple weeks, been sorta snooping in
on that thread from time to time anxious to see what it develops into.
I agree, a Windows frontend (or full port!? lack of v4l probably blows
that backend port though) would be pretty neat.

> I just don't like _this list_ being used as a support forum for a non-free
> piece of software.  I don't think that's unreasonable, but maybe it is to

I think his software should have been marketed more as donation ware
optional payment type idea rather than a demand. As far as support
for, I guess part of the difficulty in creating products that work
with the core product. The core product almost ends up "hosting"
support or whatever for the 3rd party apps, since the majority of
users will just naturally turn to the central support forum to ask a
question, hoping someone else on the list uses the same 3rd party app.
Even M$ has support documents in their knowledge base about software
they didn't write, especially software that breaks their OS's. ;) I'm
guessing you took his posts as more advertising than anything else.

-Kenneth