[mythtv-users] [OT] nvidia 8756: XvMC works!

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 00:39:30 UTC 2006

--- Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 03:08:21PM -0700, Joe Votour
> wrote:
> > Actually, mythfrontend is eating up my CPU - and
> lots of it.
> > Depending on which channel/show I'm watching,
> mythfrontend eats
> > anywhere between 30 and 90+% (usually hovers
> around 70%) of the CPU
> > and around 50% of my memory.  X eats up about
> 8-22% of my CPU, and
> > after that, the most that happens (which changes)
> is about 6%, which
> > goes to mythbackend.  (Note that not all tasks
> always run at their
> > maximums, otherwise, obviously I'm at greater than
> 100% all the
> > time.)
> >
> > Idle constantly changes (of course), but it gets
> to 0% very often.
> > I think that the only reason why this works as
> well as it does is
> > because the wait percentage is usually hovering
> between 10 and 20%.
> > My load numbers are relatively high (4.53, 2.87,
> 1.31).
> >
> > I'm a decent programmer, but I can't read "top"
> for crap.  One of
> > these days I'll sit down to figure it out.
> >
> > That said, if excessive amounts of disk activity
> occur, I get
> > choppiness and sometimes prebuffering pauses.
> Scrolling through the
> > guide when watching ATSC (digital or HD) is
> completely unbearable.
> >
> > Here's the specs of my machine:
> > Athlon64 3200+
> > 512MB of RAM (DDR333 or DDR400, I don't remember)
> > 250GB hard drive (ext3 for the root partition, XFS
> for
> > the MythTV storage partition)
> > SiS755 chipset
> > 1x PVR-250
> > 1x PVR-350
> > 1x FusionHDTV 5 Lite
> > 5200FX using nVidia driver 7676
> > Fedora Core 4 with ATrpms, except for MythTV
> itself
> > MythTV SVN 0.19.20060226-1 (a fairly oldish build,
> > admit)
> > I'm using ffmpeg (not libmpeg),I have OpenGL vsync
> on
> > and Bob deinterlacing enabled.  XvMC is disabled.
> >
> > If you've got any ideas that can help me get this
> > working, that would be great, since it would save
> me
> > some money on a new CPU and motherboard.
>
> Try turning off OpenGL vsync (either compile it out,
> or via run-time
> configuration in TV Playback). On my system that
> makes CPU usage go
> down.
>
> --Rob

Robert,

Thanks for the advice, but I've tried that also, and
believe it or not, it doesn't really help that much
(it's barely noticeable to me).  But, without OpenGL
vsync, I do get tearing on some channels.

I'm thinking of seperating the frontend and backend
first, and then if that doesn't help out much, then
I'll start shopping for another CPU.

-- Joe