[mythtv-users] pcHDTV card analog NTSC input

Greg Stark gsstark at mit.edu
Sat Apr 8 20:11:37 UTC 2006

Greg Stark <gsstark at MIT.EDU> writes:

> I found a work-around for the audio problem. I ran another tv program called
> "tvtime" (a very nice program, btw, but no pvr capabilities) and it had an
> option called "Audio Boost" and setting that to "maximum" fixed the problem
> right up. I have no idea what this corresponds to in command-line tools or
> mythtv options. I'll have to look at the source and see what's going on there.
>
> But now I have a different problem. In tvtime I can adjust the brightness and
> contrast so the input looks right. Mainly I have to turn the contrast way
> down. By default the card seems to tune everything with the contrast wayyy too
> high. The images are almost all white and fully saturated colours.
>
> I don't see where in mythtv I adjust the picture settings on the capture.

Ah, I discovered the wonders of v4lctl.

The "contrast" seems to default to 127 (the very maximum) when the module is
inserted. Setting it to 63 (supposedly the default) fixes the contrast
problem.

And setting the "volume" to the maximum 63 makes it quite reasonable.

(I am surprised the v4l2 entries like "agc crush" that the mythtv wiki lists
aren't present. These are the drivers straight from 2.6.16.)

So. How do I configure mythtv to set these settings automatically?

bash-3.1$ v4lctl -c /dev/video1 list
/home/stark/.xawtv:143: syntax error
attribute  | type   | current | default | comment
-----------+--------+---------+---------+-------------------------------------
norm       | choice | NTSC-M  | NTSC-M  | NTSC-M NTSC-JP PAL-BG PAL-DK PAL-I PAL-M PAL-N PAL-Nc PAL-60 SECAM-L SECAM-DK
input      | choice | Televis | Televis | Television Composite1 S-Video
audio mode | choice | mono    | mono    | mono stereo lang1 lang2
bright     | int    |     127 |       0 | range is 0 => 255
contrast   | int    |      63 |      63 | range is 0 => 255
color      | int    |     127 |     127 | range is 0 => 255
hue        | int    |     127 |       0 | range is 0 => 255
volume     | int    |      63 |      31 | range is 0 => 63
Balance    | int    |       0 |      64 | range is 0 => 127
mute       | bool   | off     | on      |

--
greg