[mythtv-users] Mythrecommend or TVWish?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Apr 8 04:10:58 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 11:45:59AM -0500, Bret Schuhmacher wrote:
> Is either of these programs able to do "Tivo-style" recommendations by
> watching what you record?  I dl'd mythrecommend and ran it, but it
> doesn't do anything useful when I run it with --get (it errors out,
> making me think the server URL isn't found:
> ./mythrecommend.pl --get
> Uploading data to central server...
> 0 New program recordings saved successfully.
> with any docs... I get this when I try to print:
> ./mythrecommend.pl --print
> DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Table 'mythconverg.recommend' doesn't
> exist at ./mythrecommend.pl line 246.
> Could not execute (SELECT id, title, category FROM recommend)
>
> Can TVWish do what I want now (the latest threads I see are from a year
> ago).

It's been happily doing it for me of course for a long time.   Mythtv doesn't
remember quite as much info as I would like it to in the old recorded tables,
so I currently don't do quite as much with auto-generated suggestions in
tvwish as Tivo does.   I have some patches, which I need to update to 0.19,
that have Mythtv understand the concept of "suggestions" and display them
in a different colour in the theme.  They expire first, of course, in fact
it is having a very high autoexpire number that classifies them as suggestions
in this code.

Generally, I found it better for you to manually specify what sort of
suggestions you want.  My own file is pretty simple:

Suggest-Movie:  weight=5
Suggest-Genre: Nature weight=4
Suggest-Genre: Animals weight=4
Suggest-Genre: Science
Suggest-Pilot: 6
Suggest-Person: Woody Allen
Suggest-Learn:
Suggest-Go: hours=1

Which makes it pull an hour a day with emphasis on movies, science shows, series
pilots, and things similar to past recordings.  Plus any Woody but I don't know
if that's working well.