[mythtv-users] Playing back transcoded files (transcoded to Mpeg-4)

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Sat Apr 8 03:16:05 UTC 2006

ffrr wrote:

>>As it happens, I already have an older version of myth (0.18) on the
>>desktop machine.  I didn't know you could  just use it as a player.
>>
>>Unfortunately it doesn't work when launched by file association under
>>KDE.  Gxine, Kaffiene etc all work, but Myth just comes up to it's
>>normal menu when a recording is played this way from a file manager
>>(such as Konqueror).  It mustn't play by the same rules.
>>

>I have to take that comment back.  It DOES work.  What happened was, KDE
>associated the filetype with the 'mythtv' application - which it knew as
>/usr/bin/mythtvfrontend.  I manually edited it to use /usr/bin/mythtv
>and now it works.
>
>Thanks again for the tip.

Argh!  I thought we had a winner, but the jump and skip functions are
very slow and haphazard - i.e. useless, when playing this way.

Also (although this is minor) it gets a couple of error messages as it
starts - about not being able to contact the backend server ( which of
course it can't, because it's not running)