[mythtv-users] TiVo's Future May Hinge on Patent Case

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 12:35:03 UTC 2006

On 4/5/06, Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >And of course your satellite/cable operator would never even *think*
> >of passing that additional cost along to you, the customer. They
> >would obviously absorb that additional overhead by reducing the CEO's
> >salary and benefits.
>
> There are many ways this could play out. It's possible that Echostar
> isn't actually any better off financially by having rolled their own
> solution. I'm sure they planned to, but that doesn't mean that that's
> how the project turned out. Or maybe it wasn't so much about the money,
> but about owning and controlling the product. It's also possible that
> the increase in cost would be so small as to not make it worth losing
> customers over, and so they might in fact absorb that cost.

It could also be possible that Echostar's solution is, ahem, better
than TiVo? When I was still living in NH, I looked into Dish and
specificly their DVR and most of what I read on satelite/cable forums
was that people prefered the Dish DVR to TiVo overall. Apparently this
is just for the newer one as Dish's first few DVR attempts were pretty
pitiful, but this newer one apparently got it right overall.

But competition in the business world is a bad bad thing and we should
be happy companies sue each other out of existance...

--
Steve