[mythtv-users] TiVo's Future May Hinge on Patent Case

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 6 01:12:04 UTC 2006

>On 04/05/2006 02:36 PM, Wylie Swanson wrote:
>
>>Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060404/tc_zd/175015
>>
>>Terence Clark, national co-chair of the intellectual property practice
>>at Greenberg Traurig in Los Angeles, agrees.
>>
>>"TiVo put a lot of time and effort into DVRs. You'd like to see those
>>kinds of companies succeed," he said. "And the industry succeeds when
>>the system works. A TiVo win would be an example of the system
>>working."
>>

>Hmmm.  So that means that the system (which system are we talking about
>here, anyway?  Free market?  Capitalism? Somthing else?) works when TiVo
>is able to force my satellite/TV company to stop providing a DVR for
>$6/mo and force me to do without or pay $13/mo for a TiVo?  Guess that
>means the system falls into the "something else" category...

Read the article. It says Tivo doesn't want an injuction, they want
to turn Echostar into a customer. That doesn't mean they want you to
do without a DVR, nor does it mean you'd necessarily have to pay $13/mo
for one (DirectTV charges $4.99/mo for tivo). It just means that your
cable/satellite company needs to pay tivo.