[mythtv-users] Lost sound trying to get live tv to not crash machine

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 19:54:40 UTC 2006

On 03/04/06, Mark Johannessen <mfjlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Over the weekend I worked on getting live tv to work and in the
> process compiled and installed the lastest nvidia module from their
> website. I know some have said version 7676 should be used, but I kept
> getting hard crashes when either trying to view live tv or view
> recorded programs.  In any event, the new driver allowed me to view tv
> using my PVR-350 card, but the sound from my Soundblaster was gone. I
> tried kmix and aplay using the KDE sound wav file and it looks like
> the sound is played, but without sound.  I've checked to be sure sound
> wasn't muted or turned down, and in fact when the machine boots, I get
> the low level "pop" around the time I believe udev is loading at boot
> up.  I didn't make any changes to modprobe.conf (at least
> intentionally - maybe the nvidia setup did something to it but I can
> determine that).
>
> Have any others seen this and if so, how did you track the problem
> down?  I've tried the sound process in the wiki with no luck.

Make sure the /etc/asound.state file (which may be being reloaded at
boot time) has acceptable mixer settings. It may have been saved at
shutdown with inputs/master levels muted. You might want to fire up
alsamixer whilst mythfrontend is running and see if any levels/inputs
are incorrectly set. Also, see whether the KDE sound server is running
(most users will turn this off as it has been known to interfere).

Nick