[mythtv-users] using WinTV PVR-350 to play AM/FM radio? (slightly OT)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 17:09:10 UTC 2006

On 4/5/06, Jeff Simpson <jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> > it sounds like the tuner can't tune a station noise.
> >
> > I also notice that when using "-j 100.1"  it says its tuning to freq
> > 00.0, so I'm thinking it may be a bug in the driver/software and that
> > even though it *thinks* its tuning to the station you ask for, it is
> > in reality not.
> >

> hmm, that's just not right!

I know man, seriously! ;-)

> Does it do that for other stations, too, or just 100.1? I noticed that for
> some stations, it would round to a weird number (101.7 goes to 101.69 for
> example), but never just tuning to 00.0.

I tried 10 stations, all with the same outcome, all using my radio
antenna that works fine on my stereo's tuner.

> Have you tried tuning with gnomeradio? I just tried that on mine last night
> and it worked like a charm, it could even scan through the stations and stop
> on valid ones. (I had to use aplay in the background to play the audio from
> it, however, since gnomeradio assumes that the audio comes into the sound
> card as an input).

I did not think of that. I will try it next time I get a chance.

> As dumb as it sounds, have you tried rebooting? I managed to hang the ivtv
> drivers a few times yesterday playing with ivtv-radio. If you try to use
> ivtv-radio while mythbackend has control of the device, for example, it
> prevents either one from working properly until you reboot (I did a hard
> reboot just to make sure). Lesson learned - stop a recording before trying
> to use ivtv-radio :-)

I stopped mythbackend while I was testing, I didn't want to to
"accidentaly" try to start a recording while I was playing around. So
nothing was using the card. Then when I was having issues I unloaded
the drivers and reloaded them with no change.

I'll try gnomeradio later and post my results...

--
Steve