[mythtv-users] TapeWorm Beta 2 release - a parasitic Windowsfront end for MythTV

David Woods david at spurgeonwoods.com
Wed Apr 5 00:37:59 UTC 2006

>>I have updated TapeWorm, a parasitic MythTV front end for Windows, based
on feedback provided by users of this list.  My thanks to all who have
contributed to the discussion.

>Hi David,
>
>I'm trying TapeWorm Beta 2, with my MythTV 0.19 installation, but I'm
having no luck getting it to work. I've shared my video directory using
Samba and mounted it on the Win >PC. I've also configured the correct IP
address and mysql username/password for my backend. However, I always get
the message "Database Error" and
>"TapeWorm is unable to connect to the MySQL database.
>Please check TapeWorm's configuration and your MythTV Server's status."
>
>Is there any way to turn on more debugging messages so I can try and track
down the problem?

>There's nothing unusual about my setup - I've a combined frontend/backend,
but I haven't changed any of the ports that the servers listen onand both
the myth box and the PC are >on the same network so there shouldn't be any
issue with the port being blocked. The only messages in the log files are:

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "TapeWorm.py", line 246, in OnConfig
>IndexError: string index out of range
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "TapeWorm.py", line 246, in OnConfig
>IndexError: string index out of range
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "TapeWorm.py", line 128, in OnPlay
>TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found
>
>Thanks for the help!

The error traceback suggests you are leaving the Video Directory field on
the Configuration screen blank, that the field is returning a string of 0
length.  At the moment, that would also prevent database access, as the
method that reads the values from the configuration screen would raise an
exception before it got to looking for the database values.  Does that make
any sense?

I'd suggest the following:

Get the MySQL Query Browser from mysql.org and install it on your Windows
computer.  Enter the username, password, Host, and Database information and
see if you are able to connect and see data.  You did enable MySQL access
from other computers as instructed, right?

Second, using Network Neighborhood, confirm that you can connect to the
video directory by typing in \\IP address\share name for your video folder
using the same format as in TapeWorm's video directory.

That should tell you which connection is failing.  Let me know what you find
out.

David