[mythtv-users] UPnP Client?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 4 22:51:34 UTC 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 4:26 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> Sorry I should mention that I haven't got a slug, I used
> twonkymedia on
> a PC. However provided the slug has sufficient IO bandwidth to drag
> video off the hard drive (over usb2) and out onto the ethernet, it
> shouldn't be a problem.

I have four slugs, performing various tasks around the house.

Getting even SD video off on in real time can be done, but everything
has to be set up just right, as you are pushing the limits of the
device. I have better luck with NFS than with Samba (not surprising)
and you need to have a hard drive enclosure with good USB performance
(the actual drive performance is academic, because the limiting
factor is the USB interface).

You will also want to "de-underclock" the slug (ie: up the clock from
133 to 266) and don't plan on running anything else on the slug at
the same time. Don't use a USB hub and use the ext3 filesystem, NOT
NFTS.

Running OpenSlug also gives better performance than UnSlung, as you
don't have the overhead of the Linksys firmware program.

The slug is a great little machine, especially for the price. It
makes a great mailserver, low-load webserver, NAS server, backup
controller, iTunes server, Audio playback adapter, scanner server,
print server, and conversation piece.

It is not the world's best video server.