[mythtv-users] Myth TV media extenders?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 4 21:10:58 UTC 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

>>> I saw them at Fry's last time I was visitin my parents in SoCal...

>>> is it the remote or the IR receiver inside the Roku?...
>>>

>> I programmed two other remotes (harmony, sony) to work with the ROKU
>> with the same results - it works, just not as responsive as it
>> should be.
>> I think it's the IR receiver inside the ROKU. I also have the
>> first version
>> of the HD-1000, maybe the newer revisions have a better IR receiver.
>>

> Is there any way to add 802.11g support to a roku? Last time I tried I
> couldn't stream SDTV over
> 802.11b. I had to use mythstreamtv for that. I don't think HD can go
> over 802.11g, but at
> least SD would.
>
> I've got a TV upstairs that I'd like to Mythify, but it's an apartment
> and I'll probably be moving in
> a few months so I don't want to break out the ethernet cable wiring
> tools. The roku sounds great
> if I could find an inexpensive way to network it.

Buffalo make a unit that connects to your 802.11 b/g network and has
four RJ-45 jacks on it, so to your equipment you have simply extended
your hardwire network (with the speed limitations of your wireless).
The unit supports WPA and costs about $60. I've used one for SD and
it workf fine, running 802.11g at around 50 feet distance. Can't say
about HD but it would be iffy IMHO.