[mythtv-users] Hauppauge remote and PVR 500 MCE

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 4 19:22:41 UTC 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 1:15 PM, Bert Haverkamp wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> This might be a bit off topic and silly question, but I couldn't
> find an answer elsewhere.
> I have a PVR 350 with the hauppauge remote. I want to exchange this
> for a PVR 500 MCE.
> (Recording 2 channels sounds very tempting). But what to do with
> the remote. From what I read/see,
> the PVR 500 does not have a connector for the ir sensor.
> So it looks like I'm stuck with the remote of my PVR 350, which I
> realy liked.

Any reason you can't use the 500 and the 350 ? Then you could record
*three* channels :-)

If you are looking at buying a new 500 you could just get a 150
instead and then still record 2 channels.

> Can anyone tell me how to get these things working together again?
> Should I get a serial IR sensor? Who is selling those? Any has
> experience with this?

You could of course use a serial IR receiver. It's not supposed to be
that hard to set up but from the volume of remote-related problems I
see posted here it may be tougher than it looks.

The HogPaws remote receiver is designed to plug into the i2c-based
remote interface on a PVR-150, 250 or 350, but the remote puts out IR
light and can be received by anything really.

If you sell your 350 the customer might want the remote in any case.

There are so many remote options it's impossible to list them all