[mythtv-users] My HDTV woes

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Sun Apr 2 21:56:10 UTC 2006

So, here's some info on my setup:

> Pentium 4 3.00GHz w/ hyperthreading (64bit chip, but 32bit install)
> 1GB RAM

This chip is nowhere near powerful enough to do HDTV.  Intel, in
general, is pretty worthless.  I recommend getting an Athlon x2 3800 -
that is the first chip I had that could do HDTV properly (my
definition of properly is playing back 1080i content with 2x
deinterlacing & at 1280x720).

I tried a 3.2 GHz P4 and an Athlon 3500+ before, and neither was good
enough.

> When I tune to an HD channel, it display, and the picture is great, but it
> stutters BADLY. The mythfrontend log shows:

Are you able to do it without Myth?  For example, can you grab a transport
stream and play it back with VLC or mplayer?

> I KNOW 3Ghz w/hyperthreading & XVMC should be able to handle HD.

Not correct about the CPU.  Are you sure that your card can do XvMC?

Good luck,
Mark