[mythtv-users] How to get X11VNC to run at reboot??

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Sun Apr 2 20:14:10 UTC 2006

On Apr 2, 2006, at 14.42, A JM wrote:

> Q-43: How can I run x11vnc as a "service" that is always available?
>
> Is anyone using X11VNC to run a headless Mythbox?
You mean a back-end? ;) Actually, lots of us around here run Myth
systems that are headless. However, the majority of us prefer to use
command-line interactions over SSH instead. For the most part, this
is kind of off-topic, and you might find more help looking up a
mailing list for X11VNC, or checking out their help documentation,
but I'll help with what little expertise I can offer.
> how do I get it to startup after reboot and without having to login
> as a user??
I'm not sure you can. X11VNC requires a running instance of X11 to
manipulate, which, in turn, requires a user to be logged in. Of
course, if you'd like to avoid that mess, consider just straight VNC.
But, that would also require a user to activate it.

> This is from the website but I'm not fluid enough to understand how
> to implement it? any would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>

> There are a number of ways to do this. The primary thing you need
> to decide is whether you want x11vnc to connect to the X session on
> the machine 1) regardless of who (or if anyone) has the X session,
> or 2) only if a certain user has the X session. Because X sessions
> are protected by X permissions (MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE files XAUTHORITY
> and $HOME/.Xauthority) the automatically started x11vnc will of
> course need to have sufficient permissions to connect to the X
> display.
>
> Here are some ideas:
>
> Use the description under "Continuously" in the FAQ on x11vnc and
> Display Managers
> Use the description in the FAQ on x11vnc and inetd(1)
> Start x11vnc from your $HOME/.xsession (or $HOME/.xinitrc)
Go to the home directory of the user you plan to be using, and exit
the .xinitrc file. It might also be known as .xsession
Insert the proper command to activate x11vnc. I'm no expert
on .xsession files, but I'm sure you can find a straight forward
guide somewhere on the net.
> Although less reliable, see the x11vnc_loop rc.local hack below.
> The display manager scheme will not be specific to which user has
> the X session unless a test is specifically put into the display
> startup script (often named Xsetup). The inetd(1) scheme may or may
> not be specific to which user has the X session (and it may not be
> able to do all users via the XAUTHORITY permission issues).
> The $HOME/.xsession scheme is obviously is specific to a particular
> user. If you do not know what a $HOME/.xsession script is or how to
> use one, perhaps your desktop has a "session startup commands"
> configuration option. The command to be run in the .xsession
> or .xinitrc file may look like this:
This basically says, if you don't know how to edit a .xsession file,
see if your window manager (KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc.) has a
configuration option to run certain commands when you load up X11
(kinda like Windows "startup" items)
> x11vnc -logfile $HOME/.x11vnc.log -rfbauth $HOME/.vnc/passwd -
> forever -bg
That's an example command.