[mythtv-users] Recording quality and nuvexport

Stephen Atkins satkins at inetdesign.org
Fri Sep 30 14:44:07 UTC 2005

Just a quick question as I'm new to making DVD's from recorded programs.

I found on the net somewhere some setting for recording from a pvr250
into dvd type format.  It records great and the file size is about 2.2G
for every hour which is about what I expected.  If I try to use
dvdauthor it gives me all kinds of errors about the VOB format.  No big
deal I'll just use nuvexport with the dvd option (I want to get rid of
the commercials anyways).  The file that nuvexport spits out is only 950
Megs.  I'm using all the defaults since I'm not familure with dvd that
much.  I'm wondering why the file is less than half the size as the
original?  Should I increase the VBR and will it make much difference in
the final quality that much.  Or should I just be happy with the smaller
file and put more on a single dvd?

Thanks
Stephen