[mythtv-users] Harmony Remote and screen blanking

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Thu Sep 29 15:10:59 UTC 2005

> I recently bought a harmony remote and so far it is great. What I have yet
> to figure out is what receiver would be the best option. Anyone out there
> have any suggestions?
>
> My other question is about whatever is causing the screen to go blank when
> there is no cursor activity. I have disabled used xset to disable dpms and
> the screensaver as shown in the troubleshooting of the documentation but
> the
> screen still blanks and I have to move the mouse to get it to come back.
>
> This is my first myth box and these seem to be the last two hurdles for me
> to have a extremely trouble free system in place.
>
> Andrew

I remember asking the same thing a few weeks back.

here's the link:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/144498?search_string=usb%20irda;#144498

recommendations came down to these homebrew:

http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html

For transmission, I have built the second one down on this page:

http://www.lirc.org/transmitters.html

or this off the shelf:

 >Or you could be lazy and buy a USB-UIRT http://www.usb-uirt.com.

>Works great - there is a patch for lirc..........transmits and receives.

Just after that though, I ran across this (the 6130) at a local cheap
hardware chain:

http://www.remotec.com.hk/eng/multimedia_product.htm

Not the most sensible buttons perhaps, but there are 62 codes to play
around with (possibly more if the receiver can be tricked into accepting
them), the base looks nice and the harmony will sit in it (with a very
slight modification to the cradle), and, most importantly, it's cheap!
Being USB the cable length is also no problem at all.

I'm going to start work now on getting harmony key defs mapped to it. Was
wondering what the list thinks are the most important ones, which remote
to mimic.

I finally got mine to work this morning after messing with lirc for ages,
solution turned out to be a very simple symlink in /dev.

Cheers

Marius