[mythtv-users] digital cable multiple channels

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Wed Sep 28 15:17:47 UTC 2005

On September 28, 2005 11:01 am, SpEnT wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I was just wondering how you do your channel changing with multiple
> DCT-2000 boxes. Right now I'm running just one but I have another PVR-250 I
> just put in my backend and would like to excersize the whole "watch one
> digital channel and record another" option. As it sits I'm using a serial
> connection to change channels on the one box but this looks like it's going
> to get confusing adding more STB's to the backend.
>
> Just curious how you worked around this.
>
> --
> Lonny

I have two IR transmitters, each on a serial port of my backend.   My cable
provider won't enable the serial ports on my stb's.

I had to hack together a custom lirc module to let lirc deal with two separate
serial port IR transmitters.  I copied the entire lirc_serial module in to
lirc_serial1, and edited the new module appropriately.

I have two separate change channel scripts, which I call tunetv1 and tunetv2.
The only difference between the scripts is the device in the irsend commands.

Since my STB's and transmitters are very close to each other, I have to be
very careful not to get the signals mixed up.  I built little tents out of
egg cartons to hide the STB's IR receivers from each other.

Hope this helps,

Mark