[mythtv-users] Australian Digital TV Cards

Philip Shead drinnen at optusnet.com.au
Wed Sep 28 13:14:24 UTC 2005

Phill Edwards wrote:
>>>Can people in australia please let me know 1) What card they are using, and
>>>2) if you were building it again, would you opt for the same card or go for
>>>a different one.

> I have 2 KWorld V-Stream Xpert DVB-T PCI cards which work a treat and
> have great support in the kernel I'm running from ATRPMs
> (2.6.11-1.27_FC3). I was advised to go for these as they don't have
> buffer issues like some other cards. I would definitely buy them
> again. The only downside is that the remote is pretty crappy (by which
> I mean very few buttons) but I already had a decent remote anyway so
> that didn't matter to me.

   I agree on this, I've got an older VisionPlus card and a Kworld
card which has much better reception and gets on better
with my older motherboard. They're under $100 retail and most
places in Melbourne these days. Kworld card also has
composite+svideo inputs. (I use it for 31 but have some colour
problems).

   I have the buffer issue with the VP card and will probably
add a second Kworld card sometime. The bright side of the VP
card I got was it has a usb remote which can be moved
independently of the card. The downside of the Kworld is
that as said above the remote is a bit flimsy (not sure
how many more keys people want? 32 the same as the VP)
and what annoys me most is the remote doesn't repeat,
so you can't ramp up/down volume easily (and my cheap
learning remote can't seem to learn the keys).

> This card supports HD in Windows - not sure about Linux. But we get
> sod all programs broadcast in HD anyway in Oz and you need a beefy CPU
> to play it back so I don't think it's really worth the hassle.

   HD is a software thing and myth supports it so they do.