[mythtv-users] vga to component converters

Erich Boleyn erich at uruk.org
Mon Sep 26 16:24:40 UTC 2005

Jason Temple <jason at temple.net> wrote:

>     I was wondering what most of you HD guys use to connect your front
> end to your tv.  I don't have a fancy flat panel tv with vga imputs
> unfortunately, but my Samsung tube can do 720p through it's component
> connector.  I've seen a number of converters anywhere from $150-$300
> that will take a vga signal and output component...my questions are: Are
> they any good?  Are there any issues with X (Xorg supports them?  Any
> issues with modelines, clocks?).  Are they all pretty much the same?
> Although I'm planning to set this up with 720p, I want it to support
> 1080i for future sets.  Any input would be greatly apprectiated!

I used to use a tube TV which had Component video inputs (still have it,
but going to sell it soon when I get my act together) and an Audio
Authority 9A60.  The TV supported 480i/p and 1080i, though I had a
bear of a time finding a working mode.

Here's what I did:
  --  NVidia FX 5200 w/2 outputs, one DVI and one VGA.
  --  Tube TV is an AdventTV 32" HDTV model.
  --  Using NVidia proprietary drivers.
  --  1280x960 32-bit color buffer.
  --  One putting out 1280x960 @ 75 Hz.
  --  One putting out 1280x960 interlaced using this modeline:
        ModeLine "1280x960hdtv" 54.540 1280 1424 1480 1616 960 1016 1032 1124 interlace +hsync +vsync

NOTE:  I first tried a 480p mode with no lasting success (it would glitch
regularly, looked like a sync issue), and only after some experimentation
got the 960 interlaced line above working stably.

--
    Erich Stefan Boleyn     <erich at uruk.org>     http://www.uruk.org/
"Reality is truly stranger than fiction; Probably why fiction is so popular"