[mythtv-users] Few questions from new user

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 11:35:46 UTC 2005

> (sorry, missed out the subject first time I pasted this). I'm new to this
> list but have thinking about building a MythTV box of a year or so.  I've
> now started ordering bits (well a antec overture II case) and am planning on
> using a  Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-t freeview PCI card and Ubuntu/512MB memory.
> As you can probably imagine, I have a few questions.
>
> Firstly what processor should I get. I had a AMD Sempron 3000+ to 3400+ in
> mind.  What I was hoping on being able to do is allow the TV card to do the
> recording and have enough oomth in the CPU to be able to decode/play at the
> same time as recording or do I need two TV cards to do this.  Being able to
> play and record at the same time is very important to me.  How do I wire
> things up to record/play at the same time.  If I had two cards would I have
> one wired to record an the other to play and do they have to be the same
> cards?

You only need 1 TV tuner card. Playback of recordings doesn't use the
tuner card. 3GHz should give you plenty of power to record and
playback. I had 2 cards recording at the same time and was playing
back with a 2.4GHz Celeron and it was acceptable. If you want to
record 2 different programs at the same time, then you need 2 tuner
cards.

> Is the  'Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-t PCI card' a good choice or are there other
> freeview cards I should consider (freeview is the relatively new free to
> view TV service here in the UK).  I am assuming here that I should go for a
> internal PCI card because I am not sure about compatibility with external
> USB cards although having a external card is better from the point of you of
> interference.

>From a kernel support point of view you're probably safer with PCI.

Regards,
Phill