[mythtv-users] (no subject)

Ciaran ciaranj at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 09:24:55 UTC 2005

I use twin Hauppauge NovaT PCIs on a Celeron 2.4Ghz, and there is CPU
space aplenty for recording TV on both cards, and watching a recording
at the same.  They take very little CPU at all , its mainly the
playback (mpeg decoding) that has the cpu hit, but even then, I'm well
under <20% CPU usage.  (Commerical flagging is an altogether different
question, I have that turned off!)

But do try and get at least 2 cards or you'll get scheduling conflicts
depressingly often, its worth the initial outlay, honest ;)
- Ciaran

On 26/09/05, Ben Edwards <Ben.Edwards at flybe.com> wrote:

> I'm new to this list but have thinking about building a MythTV box of a year
> or so.  I've now started ordering bits (well a antec overture II case) and
> am planning on using a  Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-t freeview PCI card and
> Ubuntu/512MB memory.  As you can probably imagine, I have a few questions.
>
> Firstly what processor should I get. I had a AMD Sempron 3000+ to 3400+ in
> mind.  What I was hoping on being able to do is allow the TV card to do the
> recording and have enough oomth in the CPU to be able to decode/play at the
> same time as recording or do I need two TV cards to do this.  Being able to
> play and record at the same time is very important to me.  How do I wire
> things up to record/play at the same time.  If I had two cards would I have
> one wired to record an the other to play and do they have to be the same
> cards?
>
> Is the  'Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-t PCI card' a good choice or are there other
> freeview cards I should consider (freeview is the relatively new free to
> view TV service here in the UK).  I am assuming here that I should go for a
> internal PCI card because I am not sure about compatibility with external
> USB cards although having a external card is better from the point of you of
> interference.
>
> Regards,
> Ben
>

> Ben Edwards
> Analyst Programmer
>

> The backbone of UK travel
>
> Telephone: +44 (0) 01392 364520
> Fax: +44 (0)1392 366151
> Email: ben.edwards at flybe.com
> Internet: www.flybe.com
>

> DISCLAIMER: The information in this Internet E-mail or Fax is confidential
> and is intended solely for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of
> information in it by anyone else is unauthorised. Any views or opinions
> presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
> those of Flybe or any of its affiliates. If you are not the intended
> recipient please contact postmaster at flybe.com
>
> Flybe is the trading name of Jersey European Airways (UK) Ltd, Jack Walker
> House, Exeter International Airport, Exeter, Devon EX5 2HL
>
> Company Registration No. 2769768

- Ciaran
(I now have far too many G-Mail invites available, anyone who wants
one, gets one)