[mythtv-users] slave/master interaction

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon Sep 26 03:45:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-25 at 22:18 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> Make sure you restart mythbackend on each system after you make changes
> using mythtv-setup.  I found that if you don't restart mythbackend on
> both system that new tuners are not seen until that is done

I'm not sure, but I *think* that this was my problem. I could have sword
that did this at point, but it would appear that the order in which
things are done is critical.

So for the benefit  of anyone else in the same position, here is what
you have to do to rebuild the database when you have a slave backend
involved:

1) Clear the database (or do whatever it is you have to do to it)
2) Run mythtv-setup on the master backend, and set up your capture
card(s) and video source(s).
3) Run mythtv-setup on the slave. Do not declare any video sources. All
you do is set up the capture cards and associate a video source with
them.
4) Restart mythbackend on the master
5) Restart mythbackend on the slave.

This is what finally worked for me. After two days of screwing around, I
finally have my system back to full functionality. The original problem
was that the guide had no data left in it, and mythfilldatabase appeared
to be refreshing it but was not. Almost surely caused by some sort of
database corruption, but I never did figure out what caused that to
begin with.

--Greg