[mythtv-users] Tunner Suggestions

mythtv at worth-less.com mythtv at worth-less.com
Sun Sep 25 10:56:21 UTC 2005

Hi-

We are trying to build a MythTV box.  We're experienced enough with
Linux in general, but we have zero experience with Myth, PVR, Linux
Video, etc.  Our first hurdle is buying the tuner.  In any case we only
want to deal with stuff that has a good compatiblity track record, so
any recommendations are appreciated.  We're extremely not set on
particular cards.  I'd also appreciate if you gave your best guess about
price.  (If you know of a good place to buy, say that too)

We care about good quality video at 480x480 from an analog cable.  For
now we don't care about digital channels, HDTV or QAM.  Our existing
hardware is a PIII/866/1GB RAM/ 250G HD with an Nvidia Geforce2 GTS.  I
believe this Nvidia card supports some video output acceleration; if it
doesn't we can get a newer one.

1.  We're considering buying a Hauppauge WinTV-GO.  This seems to be $25
and very compatible.   Is this a good card/good price?  Are there better
ones?

2.  Would we have to buy a faster computer to have simultaneous 480x480
playback with the GO?  (Just a framegrabber, I think)?

3.  Would we have to buy a faster computer if we bought a card with an
encoder?

4.   If we need a card with an encoder, we're thinking of a Hauppauge
PVR-250 or 350.  These both seem to be $125, so we'd probably get the
PVR350.   Are these good choices/prices?  Are there better ones?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan