[mythtv-users] DVB Transcoding, renaming & cutting commercials

Neil Neil.myth at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 25 09:37:26 UTC 2005

Hi all,

My mythtv setup is now up and running and working correctly, i.e. the
EPG is automatically populated, and I can successfully schedule
recordings :)

My recording directory is setup as a SAMBA mountpoint and I use the Xbox
Media Centre to watch the recordings. However, in order to do this, I
have to manually rename the .nuv files to .mpg (as I'm using a DVB card,
the nuv file is just an mpeg2 stream)

However, when I do this, the database obviously thinks that the
recordings are no longer there.

What I'd like to do, when the recording finishes is to automatically:
(1) rename the file to have a .mpg extension (and, if possible, rename
the filename itself to the programme title). (2) change the database to
reflect the new name. and (3) use transcoding to automatically cut out
any commercials (the option to flag commercials has been set on all
recordings).

I'm sure that someone must have already done this, so if anyone can
point me in the direction of a guide, I'd really appreciate it. I've
done various searches on Google and gone through the Howto, but can't
seem to find anything yet.

TIA

Neil