[mythtv-users] Turning Timestretch On and Off

frosts1 at hotkey.net.au frosts1 at hotkey.net.au
Sun Sep 25 07:02:55 UTC 2005

Does anyone out there use Timestretch much? I have been using it a bit lately
and I quite like it. I just wish there was an easy way to toggle it on and off.
>From what I have found, the only way to turn it on is to press 'A' and then
press the right arrow until it reaches the speed at which you want to watch. It
increments in 0.05x steps which means if you want to watch at 1.7x for example
it takes 15 keystrokes! Then to go back to normal speed you have to do the same.
I have recently found that the up and down arrows adjust it by 0.25, but even
though that helps, the process of turning timestrecth on and off requires you to
press two different keys.

If you could just toggle it on and off, it would be really useful for watching
some sports where there is brief periods of activity, which you want to watch in
real time, with breaks in between which you want to skip through quickly (like
cricket here in Australia, and I imagine possibly Baseball in the US). By using
timestretch, you could still follow the flow of the commentary but quickly pass
over the lulls in play.

Anyone know if you can toggle it on and off?

If not, I thought the best way to handle this would be to turn it off if you
press the A key whilst the Adjust Timestretch OSD is displayed. Pressing A again
when playing in normal time would turn timestretch back on at the rate at which
it was going previously.

If you were watching in timestretch and the adjust timestretch OSD has
disappeared, pressing A once would bring up the Adjust Timestretch OSD, and
pressing it again would revert to real time.

This wouldn't require any extra keys to be defined and it would add what I think
is useful functionality.

Anyone have any thoughts on this proposal?