[mythtv-users] Spontaneous Reboot w/ PVR-500/150

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Sun Sep 25 01:02:18 UTC 2005

It sounds like you have bad hardware or incompatible hardware to me.  It
could be software, but from the way you describe it, I'd tend to suspect
hardware.  In particular i.d do something like this..

1) Check your voltages of your power supply via some monitoring
software.
2) Run memtest86 and look for bad memory.  If it reports some try
running with only one stick, if that applies.
3) Try some other form of stressful application.  I.E. use the cpuburn
program to see what it comes up with.  If it crashes and the memory and
power supply tested clean then it sounds like cpu or motherboard issues.
(Do you have a good heat sink and is it attached well?)
4) If you get that far and it only crashes when your using a pvr-500/150
card you probably simply have an incompatible pci card/motherboard
combination and I suspect your stuck buying a new motherboard.