[mythtv-users] GLX and NVIDIA. Disable GLX to startx

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 15:29:51 UTC 2005

I don't know about FC4 (I use FC3 - I prefer to stay
one release away from cutting edge on my production
machines), but you'll definitely want to get GLX
working if you use an nVidia card (which I assume you
do).

With GLX working, you can use the OpenGL VSync for
reducing tearing/jitter, and also you can use the
GLX-based visulizations in MythMusic and the other
plugins that support it.  That said, you don't *need*
it to run MythTV, it should* work fine without, if you
don't use any of the GLX features.

*I say should, because I haven't used all of the
plugins, so I don't know the code path.  You might hit
a GLX call and it might bomb out without GLX in the X
server.  GLX is supported by software by default in
the newer versions of XFree86/xorg, and the lack of
any GLX layer at all might pose a problem.

-- Joe