[mythtv-users] mythcomflag - how do I set nice level?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:08:26 UTC 2005

On 9/22/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/22/05, Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 06:52:15PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > Thanks very much.
> > >
> > > I did have it set to one job, but CPU usage was medium so I've set it
> > > to low. Additionally I saw an option to start commercial flagging when
> > > recording starts. I've disabled that also, at least as a test.
> > >
> > > Probably 70% of our recording is late night stuff so commercial
> > > flagging can get done between 3AM and 7AM and probably cause no
> > > problems at all.
> >
> > I think your real problem was commercial flagging when recording
> > starts (a.k.a. "real-time commercial flagging).
>
> Could be. Now that I know where the setting are I can play with that a bit.
> >
> > You might be OK bumping CPU usage back up to medium so that
> > commflagging can go faster. The nicing should prevent mythcommflagging
> > from interfering with recordings. But I don't know the details of your
> > capture cards, maybe you need more CPU for software encoding.
>
> 3GHz P4HT but currently a UMP kernel.
> PVR-150
> PVR-250
> 512MB
>
> 250GB storage over NFS in another box so good networking matters.

Hi Robert,
   Well, last night's recordings mostly failed again:

8PM - 1 30 minute show - recorded fine. Recording info says 30 minutes long

10PM - 2 30 minute shows. Both failed. One is 18 minutes, the other is
19 minutes.

11PM - 1 30 minute show - looks good

11:30PM - 2 60 minute shows - both failed - One is 22 minutes, the
other is 25 minutes

12:30PM - 1 60 minute show - failed. Info says 37 minutes.

   Looks like I've got more problems than just the settings we played
with yesterday. However, a question - Did I need to restart the
backend server to get those changes to take effect? I didn't do that.

   I'll try that this morning as a test.

   Here's the failure messages in dmesg"

ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #57: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently allocated
ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #58: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently allocated
ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #59: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently allocated
ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #60: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently allocated
ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #61: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently allocated
ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #62: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently allocated
ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #63: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently allocated
mark at dragonfly ~ $

Thanks,
Mark