[mythtv-users] Various questions

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Thu Sep 22 19:18:04 UTC 2005

kteague at speakeasy.net wrote:
> Good day Ladies and Gent's,
>
> Long time lurker, first time poster with a few questions up my sleeve regarding hardware requirements for my type of setup.
>
> Service Provider: DirecTV (from here on, referred to as D*)
> Video Format: NTSC
> Receiver: Any HD capable D* receiver
> Television: Westinghouse LVM-37w1
>
> 1. From what I've gathered, since the DirecTV receivers have tuners in them, I do not need a tuner for my MythTV box.  Is this correct?
>
> 2. I would like to record HD stuff, however, it appears that the only way to do this is via encoding with CPU overhead (no hardware encoders), as there are no video capture cards (supported under Linux) that can perform hardware HD encoding.  I did some reasearch on chipsets used on the Hauppauge PVR-500, and it appears the maximum encoding resolution they support is SD.  Now this is where it becomes very confusing.  The chipset used on the card is a Conexant CX23416.  The product brief (http://www.conexant.com/servlets/DownloadServlet/102074B.pdf?FileId=996) states that it supports hardware encoding of 720x480, yet, just below that, it says it also supports "HDTV MPEG Capture".  So, does this card also perform hardware encoding of 1280x720, or even 1920x1080?
>
> 3. Are there any hardware encoding cards supported under Linux to encode the captured streams to MPEG4?  If so, does MythTV support this?  I know there's a Matrox USB device that can do this, but I would prefer something internal to the PC.
>
> 4. Output -- does MythTV output through the capture card?... or through the video card?... or do I have my choice?  I would like to use DVI and keep everything in the digital domain.

with the PVR-350 you have a choice, but the output on that card is
analog.  So if you want DVI out, you must use a video card with DVI out.
> 5. With the front end/back end arch., where are the encoder cards installed?  In the front or back end?

A back end is be definition a machine that does capturing.  A front end
is by definition a machine that displays output.  Most people use a
single machine as a front end + back end.  You can have multiple FEs,
BEs, and/or FE+BEs.
> 6. With the FE/BE arch., can the programs be recorded on the FE, then x-fer'd to the BE when the program is done recording?  I fear that a temporary network failure could disrupt a program recording.  Having it record on a small FE box, then x-fer'd later (or in chunks as the program is recording) to the BE, it can take advantage of resuming a failed upload to the BE.  Streaming the data has its limits.

Since FEs don't record, your question is invalid.  An FE+BE can record.
It can record to a local volume or a network mounted volume, which can
be another MythTV box.  It sounds like that is what you are wishing to
do.  Or, you may be wanting to move the recording to a remote volume
after recording is complete use a batch script, which again is
possible.  (This isn't a Microsoft product.  You are in complete control.)
> 7. With the video scaling capabilities, could I get MythTV to constantly upscale all signals to 1080p?  For example, lets say I'm watching SDTV (480i), will it upscale that to 1080p?  Then, lets say I change to a channel that's outputting HDTV (720p or 1080i), will it automatically know to upscale those to 1080p?... or will I have to fiddle with MythTV each time I switch channels that output different scan rates?
>
> I think that's it for now.  Please be nice to this newbie :-)  I've been trying to do my research on this project between working 2 jobs and school.  Thanks!
>
> - Ken

I don't know enough about your other questions to answer.  Good luck,
and welcome to the community.

--

	Thank you for your time,
	--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.