[mythtv-users] MythTV, DBox2 and capture/stream digital cable TV to a PC network

Chris Swinney swin at fab-sas.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 17:34:04 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I am pretty new to all of this so bare with me.

I am looking for a way to set up my home PC network so that PC can view
digital cable channels directly and channels can be recorded and played
back later. So far I can see two ways of doing this - using a standard
PCI card in a PC (such as the TechnoTrend Premium DVB-C 2.1 (C2100) or
the newer C2300), or with the use of a DBox 2 (or possible a DreamBox?).
Unbelievably, getting hold of a DBox seem to be the cheaper option and
from what I can gather it would be possible to stream and capture a
digital channel from the DBox and control it from a PC on the network.
Obviously, only one channel per tuner (either PCI card or DBox) can be
view/recorded at any one time.

Is this the kind of thing MythTV will enable me to do? Will this enable
a multicast setup - i.e. can many PC's view a stream at once or is this
a one at a time operation? So far, I am a Windows user and although I
dabbled with Linux many years ago, there was no real incentive for me to
stick with it. Is there a way Windows PC could be used? Obviously, the
DBox would also allow direct viewing on to a TV screen via SCART as well
networked operation, but are there any disadvantages to using a DBox
over a PCI card in a PC? What about the use of a cable DreamBox - I know
they are more expensive but they also have a 100Mbit network port rather
than the 10Mbit port of the DBox.

As said, I very new to all of this and I am trying to read as much info
as I can on the DBox's but the majority of it is in German (which I
don't speak or read) and even translation tools aren't that wonderful
for a lot of the technical babble, so I glad at least MythTV is in
English!

I hope some of the question can be answered, many thanks.

Thanks,

Chris