[mythtv-users] Ubuntu mythtv and libqt3c102-mt

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Sep 21 21:55:59 UTC 2005

On 21-Sep-05, at 2:09 PM, Robert Anderson wrote:

> I have the same issue. Forgive my ignorance, but exactly what must one
> do to resolve this, assuming that the equivs package is installed.
> Thanks,

David asked some more questions off list but the gist of my response is
(1) to make sure the two packages equivalent (installing the same files
to the same places) and then (2) use equivs to create an empty package
that tells debian you do have the functionality of libqt3 installed.

(1) You can see what files your installed package has supplied by going
dpkg -L libqt3c102 and you can find what the debian version supplies by
searching for it at http://packages.qa.debian.org/common/index.html.

(2) If they're indeed equivalent you can follow the instructions at
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html to
create a new package, who's name doesn't matter, that claims to provide
libqt3-mt or whatever it is you're missing. If you want to be extra
clever you can make your equiv package depend on the ubuntu equivalent.
You then install that equivalent package and voila, no more dependancy
problem.

I've never used equivs and I don't run ubuntu but over the past year or
two I've gotten the hang of debian so you can do what I'm saying and
not hose your system irreversibly. Also, I may not be explaining this
in the clearest way possible. It's one of those things that's obvious
once you get it and it's hard to go back and see how someone else
wouldn't.

- George